Smyth – The Irish Connection
1.Note. The spelling of
“SMYTH or SMITH” is faithful to origional documents.
KILSARAN (aka Kilsarn) is in :-
Barony of CLANMAHON.
Civil Parish of DRUMLUMMAN, (aka Mullahoran & Lough Duff) Co CAVAN.
Poor Law Union of GRANARD.
R.C. Parish of Drumlumman & Ballymachugh.
Diocese of ARDAGH & CLONMACNOISE.
The family farm
is property #10 in the town land of KILSARAN.
Patrick Phillip Smyth came from Drumloman, Kilnaleck near Ardkill mountain in County Cavan, Ireland. He is known to have had four brothers and two sisters, there were possibly more siblings. His father was Phillip Smyth and his mother was Anne (possibly LYNCH). Both Phillip and Anne were Irish speaking. Patrick met Mary Murray whilst they both were in service with the Acheson family near Cavan town. Patrick worked with the horses, possibly as a ploughman. He was born on 6 Nov 1872. Mary was born on 31 Aug 1880, the daughter of John and Julia (Judy) Murray of Kilsarn, County Cavan. Mary left County Cavan to work in Scotland as did so many in those days. Patrick followed her and worked as a foundry man in the Glasgow area, where Mary's brother James, also worked. Patrick and Mary married in Scotland in about 1905. They moved back to Ireland and set up home at Mary's parents farm in Kilsarn near the Cavan-Longford border.
The children were:
Murray, Mary’s father, was a farmer and blacksmith. He rented the farm from
Captain Gerald Dease untill 1914 when his son in law Patrick Smyth became the
tenant. In 1920 the farm became the
property of Patrick. It is not known when John died but Judy lived at Kilsarn
with the young family until she died in about 1920-21. Tragically, Mary died in
1929 at the age of about 45 leaving Patrick to care for his seven children on
his own. Soon after her mother’s death Julia left for America. She sailed from
Cobh, County Cork. She lived in New Jersey and married William Hessler who is
believed to have served in the American military. They had no children. The widowed
Julia died in 2001 in New Jersey, USA. Her father, Patrick Smyth, lived to the age of
80 and died
John Murray and Julia Donohue married on
17th of February 1874. John was the son of John Murray who farmed in the townland of
Scrabby. Julia was the daughter of Edward Donohoe who farmed in the townland of
Lisanny. John was 25 years (born c. 1849) old and Julia was 22 (born c. 1852).
farm in Kilsarn was rented by James Donohoe from a James Arthur Dease from at
least 1852 until 1883. In 1883 the farm became property of Captain Gerald Dease.
In 1891 John Murray became the tenant until 1914, when our Patrick Smyth rented
it, (as mentioned above).
From 1852 to 1914 it remained a 20
acre 2 rod and 28 perch farm when it became a 19 acre 28 perch farm. The
Valuation Office in Dublin shows an annual rate of £6:10:0 from 1852 until
1955. John Smyth then became the owner and the fee increased to £8.25.
The Griffith’s Valuation
(c.1855) showns the farm to be occupied by James Donohoe and owned by Gerald
Dease. It is described as “House, Offices and Land” with an area of 20 acres
2 rods 28 perch. The rateable annual valuation is for the land,
£6:0:0 and for the buildings, £0:10:0 giving a total of £6:10:0.
Jame Donohoe also rents some land (with
James Cahill & Bernard Daly) from Gerald Dease amounting to 2 acres 3 rods 6
perch. James Donohoe pays £1:0:0 whilst James Cahill & Bernard Daly pay 15
Mary Murray’s siblings:
This information is anecdotal.